Tuesday 18th February 2020
Events Available to Enter:
- Splash and Dash - 6 year olds only
- Individual Tryathlon - 7-15 year olds
- Junior Team - 7-10 year olds (must be the same age and can be mixed gender, two team members: 1 does the swim, 1 does the bike and they both do the run).
- Senior Team 11 - 15 year olds (must be the same age and can be mixed gender, two team members: 1 does the swim, 1 does the bike and they both do the run).
(Age is the child's age on the day of the event)
Race Fees Include:
- Official Bib Number
- Official Weet-bix Kids Tryathlon T-Shirt
- Official Weet-bix Kids Tryathlon Swimming Cap
- Official Weet-bix Kids Tryathlon Kit Bag
- Official Weet-bix Kids Tryathlon Finishers Medal
- All TRYathletes are eligible for spot prizes but they must attend the prizegiving.
The information below is from previous years and hasn't been confirmed for the 2020 Tryathlon.
The following items are compulsory:
- Closed in shoes for the cycle and run legs (Asics Running Tips).
- A well-fitting helmet for the cycle leg (Bike Barn Cycle Tips).
- Official Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon t-shirt with bib number attached.
Before your students leave home, they need to write on their Bib Number in permanent marker in the following positions;
On the top of their right forearm. Ensure it is not covered by their t-shirt sleeve.
Below the knee front on their right shin.
This is very important because their bib number allows event staff to:
- Contact parents via the mobile number supplied during the registration process should we need to during the event.
- Identify which photos taken by Supersport Images are of them so that if they have purchased photos, SuperSport Images will be able to send them the correct photos after the event.
There will be two car parking areas available free of charge. The first is at Hastings Girls High School, access from Frimley Road. There are no leaving restrictions on this car park. The second area is Ranui field, across the road from Frimley Park. Please enter from the Northern end of Lyndhurst Road. You will not be able to remove your car from this field until after the event has finished at around 1:30pm. There will be no access to Lyndhurst Road from Pakowhai Road. No parking will be available on Lyndhurst Road, Pakowhai Road or Frimley Place.
Check In When You Arrive To Win Prizes!
Go to the blue Check In tents at Transition to be scanned in and receive your Swim Cap.
Check In is the entry point into the Transition area and is open between 8:00AM – 9:15AM.
You must Check In in order to complete the event.
At Check In participants will:
- Have their bib sticker barcode scanned. This enters them into the prize draw for Prize Giving!
- Receive their Swim Cap. This will match the colour of their participant bib sticker.
- Be ushered to the correct age group row to leave their bicycle and gear in
Bike & Helmet Safety Check
Getting participants’ bikes and helmets safety checked before event day is highly recommended to make sure they are safe on the day. So please inform parents that participants who have their bike and helmet safety checked at any Bike Barn (or Bike Barn designated) store pre event will go in the weekly draw to win some cool prizes! The sooner they have their bike checked, the more chances they will have to win. Check out the Bike Barn Cycle Tips page for more info.
Also, parents and helpers need to make sure that participants’ helmets fit correctly. Check out this website for instructions on how to correctly fit, adjust and wear a helmet so that it is ready to go on event day.
If you have received your event kit make sure that you have your child’s bib number sticker and that it is stuck to:
- The front of their event t shirt. (it is best to do this with the t shirt lying on flat surface)
- The front of their helmet
- The handle bars of their bike
Make sure you allow plenty of time to get to the event and to find a car park. Please leave enough time to get through the numbering, Check In and Transition process before Transition closes. The more time you allow, the easier it will be. There will be lots of people and it will be very, very busy, so please be patient and listen to all instructions, which will come from our officials, volunteers and the event commentator. To view the schedule for your event, visit the Location page.
And remember, drink plenty of water before and during the event and always warm up and stretch before the TRYathlon!
The admin tent will be open between 8:00AM – 9:15AM on weekday events, and 7:00AM – 8:15AM on weekend events.
You only need to come to the Admin Tent if:
- You want to register ‘on the day’ for an event which has not sold out.
- You have not received a TRYathlete Kit.
- The participant t-shirt in your TRYathlete Kit is not the right size.
- The participant bib sticker in your TRYathlete Kit has the wrong information on it.
- You need to make a last-minute amendment to a participant’s registration.
Please bring a copy of your registration confirmation email with you to the Admin Tent.
Participant’s swim caps are handed out when you Check In at Transition, not from the Admin Tent.
Check In is the entry point into the Transition area and is open between 8:00AM – 9:15AM on weekday events, and 7:00AM – 8:15AM on weekend events. You must Check In in order to complete the event.
At Check In you:
- Will have your participant bib sticker barcode scanned. This enters you into the prize draw for Prize Giving!
- Receive your participant swim cap. This will match the colour of your participant bib sticker.
- Be ushered to the correct row to leave your bicycle and gear in.
Transition is the big fenced off holding pen for participants’ bikes and is the change-over point between legs of the race. The Transition area is organised according to swim cap colour. Bikes will need to be lined up with the flag matching your child’s swim cap colour and any additional equipment kept to the side of the bike.
All bikes and equipment need to be in Transition before the event briefing. To view the schedule for your event, visit the Location page.
When a participant comes from the swim, they will transition to the bike ride. When they finish the bike ride, they will come back to transition to leave their bike and begin the run.
Once your child has checked in and positioned their bike in the Transition area, you will not be permitted to enter Transition to add or retrieve equipment until after the conclusion of prize giving. Please ensure that you have everything you need for the day with you when you leave Transition before the event briefing.
You will need to leave the following items in Transition:
- Official Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon t-shirt with Bib Number attached to the front.
- Bike with your event number sticker attached to the handle bars.
- Helmet with your event number sticker attached to the front.
- Running shoes and socks.
- Drink bottle.
- Any medication you may need use of during the Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon (eg. asthma inhaler)
- A box or something similar to put all your things in next to your bike.
Take the following items with you when you leave Transition:
- Swimming togs.
- Arena Swim Cap.
- Swimming goggles. (optional)
- Something warm to wear until you begin your race (Please note, this cannot be your Official Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon t-shirt as you are required to wear this for the cycle and run leg so it needs to be left with your bike).
- Check that you have your event bib number written clearly on your arm and leg.
It’s a good idea to have a small plastic box so that all your items are kept together and also to make your bike stand out somehow so it will be easier for you to find during the event. For example, you could use a brightly-coloured towel on your seat or handlebars.
Collecting your gear from Transition
- After the final participant has completed the course, controlled access for those wanting to remove bikes from transition will be permitted from a single designated entry point under the guidance of Transition HELP TEAM Marshals until Prize-giving has been completed.
- After the prize-giving has been completed, general access to bikes in the Transition Area will be permitted. Several entries to transition will be created and security spot checks will be carried out by Transition HELP TEAM Marshals.
The Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon organisers take no responsibility for any bikes or items left in transition after the event.
Event Briefing will take place on the Weet-Bix stage container. All the information you and your child will need for the TRYathlon, such as start times, swim order and locations, changes to format of event due to weather etc will be covered in this briefing.
Access to Transition will close 15 minutes prior to these briefings.
Event schedule timing varies between locations. To view the schedule for your event, visit the Location page.
Kids Better Brekkie:
Thanks to Sanitarium Weet-Bix and our breakfast partners, Anchor, Heinz Watties and Tasti, breakfast for all participants is FREE. Head along to the Kids Better Brekkie Tent to fuel up for your TRYathlon with Weet-Bix, Anchor milk and Uno yoghurt, a selection of Heinz Watties fruit and Tasti toppings. Weet-Bix Gluten Free and So Good Soy Milk are also available on request.
Better Brekkie for Grown Ups:
Join us at the Better Brekkie for Grown Ups tent at selected weekend TRYathlon events for a complimentary Weet-Bix Blends breakfast. Make a great start to your day with a delicious Weet-Bix Blends Multi-Grain, Weet-Bix Blends Oat Bran or Weet-Bix Blends Cranberry + Coconut breakfast, with a variety of tasty toppings available from Anchor, Heinz Watties, Tasti and Arataki Honey.
Note that the Better Brekkie for Grown Ups tent will not be at all TRYathlon locations. If you are at an event where there is no Better Brekkie for Grown Ups tent, you are welcome to enjoy breakfast from the Kids Better Brekkie tent.
If your child needs assistance during any leg of the course, please contact our Registration & Call Centre at least one week before the event and we will discuss options with you.
Our Registration & Call Centre team can arrange for a parent or guardian to have access to all areas of the course to provide assistance. You can contact us on 0800 WEET BIX (9338 249) or email Clara at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks to our sponsors, the Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon have some great prizes to give away!
Having your bib’s barcode scanned at Check In puts you in the draw to win one of these great prizes.
You must be present at prize giving with your event number to claim any prizes won. Only BikeBarn bikes will be redrawn.
No prizes are able to be claimed at any later stage and no prizes are able to be claimed by persons other than the Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon participant named as the winner. Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon takes no responsibility for lost or unclaimed prizes.
If your child’s school has registered as a group at your event, you can receive a school group discount for your registration fee and help your school to win great prizes!
In order for your school to qualify for prizes, the school group will need to have a minimum number of participants entered.
Prizes are non-negotiable, non-transferrable, non-refundable and cannot be exchanged for cash.
There will be a Lost Kids tent positioned next to the Admin Tent where our Help Team will care for any lost children – this is the best spot to find lost parents too!
The first thing you should do when you arrive at the event venue is set up a meeting point. There will be lots of people there on the day and it will make it easier if you decide on a meeting place in advance that the whole family can go to if you do get separated and for when you finish the Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon.
We strongly recommend that you write your child’s event number on their right forearm and left shin. This is important as in the event of an accident it means we are able to identify your child and contact you via the mobile number you supply during the registration process. If you have other children with you on the day who are not participating, we recommend that you write your mobile number on their arm if they do not know it.
If you have lost an item of property, we recommend that you check in at the Lost Kids Tent during the event and if it has not been handed in that you log the details of the item with one of the Help Team.
Post event, please contact our Registration & Call Centre team at email@example.com or on 0800 WEET BIX (9338 249) as soon as possible with a description of the item.
At the conclusion of each Sanitarium Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon, all lost property is given to the local coordinator who will hold items for three months for collection. After this date any items that have not been collected will be donated to a local charity. The exception to this is any items that a child could use at the TRYathlon eg helmets, shoes, bikes and towels which will be donated to the Weet-Bix TRYathlon Foundation.
The Sanitarium Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon organisers take no responsibility for any property lost at the Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon events.
Distances are approximate & are as follows;
- 7 year olds 50m swim/ 4km cycle/ 1.5km run
- 8 – 10 year olds 100m swim/ 4km cycle/ 1.5km run
- 11 – 15 year olds* 150 – 200m swim/ 8km cycle/ 1.5 km run
The swim leg will take place in either in the oceans or a public pool. Each venue is a little bit different so we recommend you check the Location page to check the depth of the swim at your child’s event and to download a swim map. There are always lots of lifeguards on hand to help if your children require assistance.
For pool swims, some of the lifeguards will be based in the pool for the entire event. Others will be located around the edge of the pool to assist with entering and exiting the water. Flutter boards are also available if required.
All ocean swims are conducted parallel to the beach, so your child will never be far from land. Some of these lifeguards will stand on the shore and some of these lifeguards will be based in the water for the entire event.
We will always have a lifeguard on hand for our TRYathletes should they require assistance.
On the morning of the event, you will need to head to the blue CHECK IN tents at Transition to be scanned in. Once you are scanned in, you will be given your Arena Swim Cap.You will need to have your Weet-Bix TRYathlon t-shirt (with bib number attached), shorts, closed in shoes, towel and drink bottle in your Weet-Bix TRY drawstring bag (with your bib number written on it). This bag will be left with your team cyclist for them to give to you when you TAG them after the swim leg. Once you have TAGGED your team cyclist, you will have time to get dry and changed while your team mate is out on the cycle leg. Once ready in your run gear, you will wait in the transition tent for your cyclist to come and TAG you and then you will complete the run together.
The cycle leg will take place in parks, on footpaths and roads with traffic management plans in place. We recommend you check the Location page for your event to download a copy of the cycle map.
Each participant taking part as an individual or team cyclist, including kids from the same family, will need to have their own bike and helmet to complete the TRYathlon. Sharing bikes can compromise safety and security.
If you require assistance with equipment, you can apply for support from the Weet-Bix Foundation here.
For health and safety reasons, closed in shoes must be worn during the cycle and run legs of the TRYathlon.
On the morning of the event, you will need to head to the blue CHECK IN tents at transition to be scanned in and then leave your bike and helmet in transition. When you are ready to leave transition, you should be wearing your Weet-Bix TRYathlon t-shirt (with bib number attached) and your closed in shoes – that way you are all ready to go and just need to put your helmet on before you start cycling. Your team swimmer will give you their drawstring bag to hold on to while they are swimming. When they TAG you after their swim, you will need to give them their red drawstring bag so that they can get changed while you are out cycling.
The run leg will take place in parks, on footpaths and roads with traffic management in place. We recommend you check the Location page for your event to download a copy of the run map.
For health and safety reasons, closed in shoes must be worn during the cycle and run legs of the TRYathlon.
Safety is the top priority for each and every Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon event and for this reason, the following event rules must be adhered to:
- The Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon is about participation and Fair Play. By entering the Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon event, you agree to abide by the principles of Fair Play; respect for the rules, courtesy, just and equitable treatment for all participants, spectators and event volunteers alike.
- We also encourage all spectators, present on the day, to encourage and cheer for all participants present, and to equally abide by the principals of Fair Play. Thank you for your support.
- Participants and spectators must follow race Marshals’ instructions. They will be the ones in the HELP TEAM shirts encouraging you and directing you around the course.
- Spectators must keep clear of all parts of the Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon course. This includes the Transition Area, which, once the race starts, will not be open again until after prize giving has concluded.
- Your helmet must be on correctly, and done up securely before you leave Transition.
- Closed in shoes must be worn for the bike and run legs of the event. You must ensure that your shoelaces are done up before you leave Transition.
- Take care on corners and slopes particularly if conditions are wet.
- Road closures are in place, keep left if not overtaking – remember that your bike course is like a normal road, and normal road rules apply.
- Your Official Weet-Bix Kids TRYathlon T-shirt must be worn during the ride and run.
- Familiarise yourself with the course – and view the maps on Information boards located in the event arena.
- Do NOT move other participant’s bikes or gear in the transition area at any time.