Our School has four houses as outlined below. The school would like to acknowledge the work of former pupil Sam Field. In 2010 pupils were asked to come up with proposals for house names and Sam’s was the winning concept. Each of the houses is named after prominent Havelock North settlers.
Joll House (and also Joll Road) was named after John Joll.
At age six John Joll emigrated with his parents from Calstock (Cornwall, England) to New Plymouth on the sailing vessel Timandra, arriving on 23rd February 1842. The family was soon farming in Pukahu (on the outskirts of Havelock North – Scott’s Strawberry Farm is part of the old house) and then around the Joll Road area. The farming land gradually extended to include Te Mata Peak, Black Barn and Craggy Range winery areas. John Joll’s son, J.H (Henry) Joll, donated land for the present bowling green and Croquet Lawn Club.
The colour green is associated with the land.
Campbell House was named after General Colin Campbell, Commander in Chief of the British Forces in India and also after Hugh Campbell, a local land owner.
Mr Hugh Campbell was a very successful farmer in the mid 1800’s, eventually owning several large properties around Havelock North, including Poukawa Station and a residence, Breadalbane, in the township. Around 1911 he gave eight acres of land for Iona College, a Presbyterian girls school also based in the village.
The colour gold for Campbell House comes from the medals the General wore.
Duart House was named after a colonial homestead on Duart Road.
This historic wooden house was built for Allan and Hannah McLean. Allan was a Scot who took up land on the banks of the Tuki Tuki River and accordingly became known as ‘Tuki’ McLean to distinguish him from other McLeans in Hawke’s Bay. He married Hannah, the eldest daughter of John and Margaret Chambers of Te Mata. Duart House was named after a castle the McLean family inhabited on the Island of Mull in Scotland before they immigrated to New Zealand.
The colour blue is linked with the colour of the Scottish National Flag.
Chambers House (and also Chambers Street) was named after John Chambers.
The Chambers family were one of the first families to settle in this area and owned most of the Havelock North Primary School zone. One of John’s sons, T. Mason Chambers helped Hugh Campbell by donating money to build Iona College, while Joseph Bernard Chambers established the first local vineyard at Te Mata in 1892. Most importantly, John Chambers and two of his sons gave 242 acres in Trust to the people of Havelock North for a park and recreation ground in 1927. This is Te Mata Reserve around Te Mata Peak. The colour red is associated with vineyards.